Vice President: Iran to sign nuclear protocol
Iran will sign an agreement Thursday giving unfettered access to its nuclear facilities, Vice President Gholamreza Aghazadeh said Wednesday.
The US and the three main European powers have been pushing for the additional protocol to the Nuclear
Iran committed itself to signing the protocol on October 21, during a visit by the foreign ministers of Britain, France and Germany - and the delay has triggered speculation the government was backtracking.
Aghazadeh, who also serves as the head of Iran's Atomic Energy Organization, said that the protocol would be signed in Geneva by a representative of Iran's Foreign Ministry, but provided no further details.
According to existing agreements, inspectors from the UN
nuclear agency have to obtain prior permission to enter
certain suspected nuclear sites in Iran. The additional
protocol will remove that restriction. (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Former Iran presidents sets conditions for signing additional protocol to NPT
- Russian Foreign Minister calls on Iran to sign protocol with UN nuclear watchdog
- Iran, Japan sign agreement protocol on oil project
- Iran's Vice President visits Saudi Arabia
- Iran under pressure on nuclear program; Iranian officials say studying “positively” decision to sign additional protocol