White House: Tunisia attack consistent with Daesh methods
The US is still trying to verify Daesh's claim over the attack on the Tunisian museum, the White House said Thursday. (AFP/File)
Tactics used in an attack on a Tunisian museum are consistent with Deash (ISIS) but the information must be verified, the White House said Thursday, after the militant groups claimed responsibility for the attack.
Daesh claimed responsibility for the attack that killed at least 22 people, including 20 foreign tourists, in the capital city of Tunis.
"While we are not yet able to confirm the voracity of this claim, the tactics that we saw at the Bardo Museum would be entirely consistent with tactics that ISIL has previously used that show a blatant disregard and even a brutality for innocent civilians," said White House press secretary Josh Earnest, using the English acronym for Daesh.
While strongly condemning the attack, he added that President Barack Obama's top counterterrorism adviser, Lisa Monaco, had spoken with Tunisian Minister of Interior Mohamed Gharsalli to express condolences.
"We know that there is a long border that Tunisia has with Libya, which is a rather unstable place right now," Earnest said. "We'll continue to be in touch with the Tunisians in the weeks and months ahead, as we talk about efforts that we can make to supplement their efforts to provide for security in their country."
Tourists from Italy, Japan, Poland and Spain were among those killed in the attack.
Tunisian security forces have detained nine suspects, including four who are believed to have been directly involved in Wednesday's attack.
[This content has been edited from the source material.]