Witnesses: Israel used new kind of missiles to kill Islamic Jihad leader in Gaza Strip
An Israeli helicopter gunship fired at a car in Gaza City Thursday, killing at least five Palestinians, including two bystanders, Palestinian medical officials said. Several more people were wounded, witnesses and medics said.
The target of Thursday's strike, which took place in Sheikh Radwan neighborhood, was a senior member of the Islamic Jihad military wing in Gaza Strip, Maqled Humeid, Israeli sources confirmed.
The Palestinians killed were traveling in the same vehicle, which Palestinian sources said belonged to an Islamic Jihad activist. The Subaru exploded as a result of the air strike. However, Palestinian witnesses said the Israelis apparently used a different kind of ordnance than in previous attacks, since the bodies were not burned in the explosion and there was not much shrapnel.
The Israeli military said the attack was carried out against Humeid, 38, who, according to them, "was responsible for the deaths of Israeli civilians and soldiers, and was currently planning a huge attack against many civilians". (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Israel fails to assassinate top Islamic Jihad leader in Gaza Strip
- Islamic Jihad leader and five relatives killed by Israeli strike in Gaza
- Islamic Jihad pledges ''painful'' response to the assassination of military leader in Gaza Strip
- Prominent Islamic Jihad leader in Gaza Strip resigns
- Islamic Jihad vows revenge after Israel kills activist, boy in copter attack