Witnesses: Several US soldiers injured in firefight close to Fallujah
A major firefight erupted west of the Iraqi town of Fallujah Thursday with reports of several American troops injured after a US convoy broke down.
According to witnesses and an AFP reporter, gunfire and mortar fire was exchanged Thursday in the town of Khaldiyah, some 30 kilometers west of Fallujah, after masked gunmen attacked the stalled convoy with rockets, however the US military said it had no reports of a firefight in the vicinity of Fallujah.
Witnesses reported seeing American soldiers severely wounded but there was no official report of casualties.
The fighting erupted at 4:30 pm (local time) when two American transporters and two other vehicles stopped in Khaldiyah after one of them broke down, the reporter said.
Masked gunmen then fired three rockets at the convoy, setting one of the vehicles on fire. The US forces rushed in reinforcements and fought with the assailants who hurled mortars. (Albawaba.com)
- At least one U.S. soldier killed in clash west of Baghdad; Witnesses: U.S. soldiers injured in Fallujah
- Bomb attacks in Baghdad, Fallujah injure six U.S. soldiers as protestors in Khaldiyah demand release of arrested women
- Four US troops killed in Baghdad; Several Iraqis dead after Fallujah mosque blast
- Two Iraqis wounded during firefight with US soldiers
- Nine Iraqi policeman killed near Baghdad as firefights reported near Fallujah