Woman Publicly Lashed in Afghanistan
The ultra-orthodox Afghan Taliban militia has publicly lashed a woman accused of having sex outside marriage in the northern city of Sheberghan, the official Radio Shariat said Wednesday.
The station said the woman, identified as Zuhra, received 100 lashes with a leather strap on Monday for having sex with an unidentified man who was not her husband.
The man had been punished earlier, but Zuhra's thrashing was delayed until after she had had a baby.
"Zuhra was satisfied with the verdict of the primary court and the Sharia punishment of 100 lashes was administered on her publicly," it said.
The Taliban, inspired by a unique interpretation of Islamic Sharia law, stone to death adulterers, allow victims' relatives to execute murderers and chop limbs of thieves – KABUL (AFP)
© 2001 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- The Lebanese connection: CIA and FBI brought to brink by one woman’s charms
- Five, Including a Woman, Hanged in Public in Tehran for Drugs Trade
- Young Afghan woman brutally stoned to death by Taliban
- Afghan men who murdered woman falsely accused of burning Quran get death sentence
- Only in Saudi Arabia: Businesswoman whipped for yelling at the religious police