WTO Says No Word From Qatar on 2001 Conference
The World Trade Organization (WTO) has yet to receive official notification from Qatar that it has withdrawn an offer to host next year's WTO ministerial meeting, the body said Friday.
If Qatar confirmed its cancellation, the global trade body's governing body would discuss the matter at a meeting on December 8, said WTO spokesman Josep Bosch.
"If from now until December 8 there are new offers they can be discussed," Bosch said. "If there are no new offers, we will see what we'll do on the 8th December," he added.
Diplomatic sources said in Seoul this month that Qatar had pulled out of hosting the ministerial conference, which takes place every two years, partly because it was likely to coincide with the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.
Violent anti-globalization demonstrations marred the WTO's last ministerial meeting in Seattle last year -- GENEVA (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)