Yemen’s President Praises Zayed’s Support of Palestinian Cause
Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh has praised the stance of UAE President Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan on various Arab causes, especially his support of the Palestinian cause.
“Sheikh Zayed’s generous support to the Palestinian intifada is commendable. It is viewed with respect and admiration in the Arab world,” said Saleh in an interview with Abu Dhabi Television in Sanaa. Saleh called on the forthcoming Arab summit in Beirut to adopt a tough Arab position that transcends rhetorical condemnation, according to Gulf News.
“The summit comes at a time when the Arab world is undergoing a critical period in its history. The Palestinian people are being exterminated by Israel. In view of this danger the outcome of the summit should go beyond words of condemnation,” said Saleh.
He stressed the need for unity and solidarity as the only objective mode of survival for Arabs in wake of the tremendous challenges facing the Arab world.
Furthermore, Saleh said that Arabs should negotiate directly with the U.S. instead of engaging in futile talks with Israel. He voiced support for the Saudi initiative provided that steps are taken to implement it before it evaporates. (Albawaba.com)
- Arafat, Yemen’s President Discuss Protection Force in Palestinian Lands
- Yemen’s President Saleh Criticizes Bush's Statements
- Yemen Calls for Arms and Men to be Sent to Aid Palestinians
- Yemeni President Arrives in UAE for Talks on Arab Summit
- Yemeni President: We Will Provide the Palestinians the Necessary Weapens to Defend Themselves