Al Qaeda claims responsibility for Yemen hospital attack, says "mistake" and "will pay blood money"
The Al Qaeda attack on Yemen's Defense Ministry left 52 people dead (Courtesy of Al-Jazeera/European Pressphoto Agency)
Click here to add Al Rimi as an alert
Disable alert for Al Rimi,
Click here to add al-Qaeda as an alert
Disable alert for al-Qaeda,
Click here to add Qassam Al Rimi as an alert
Disable alert for Qassam Al Rimi,
Click here to add The Associated Press as an alert
Disable alert for The Associated Press
The military leader of Al Qaeda in Yemen announced Sunday that one of its fighters was responsible for the attack that occurred earlier this month on the hospital near the country's defense ministry, according to the Associated Press.
Qassam Al Rimi, the commander Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) which is based in Yemen, apologized for the attack and said in a video posted online that the organization will pay blood money to the victims' families.
"We accept full responsibility for what happened in the hospital and will pay blood money for the victims' families," said Al Rimi.
The Al Qaeda commander also said in the video that was posted late Saturday that the attackers had been warned and told not to enter the hospital or the place for prayer that was in the ministry complex. However, one fighter ignored this warning and entered the hospital accordingly said Al Rimi.
Al Rimi added that the defense ministry had been targeted due to the organization's belief that the ministry "houses drone control rooms and American experts."