Yemen: Sanaa bomb kills at least two people
At least two people have been killed in Yemen after a bomb hit a bus carrying soldiers in the capital Sanaa on Tuesday, medical sources reported, highlighting the government's failing efforts to control the impoverished country.
Tuesday's blast was the latest in a series of security incidents to hit U.S.-allied Yemen in less than a week, Reuters reported. Since Friday, two Westerners have been kidnapped and three explosions near the captial's French embassy, the defense ministry and the central bank caused havoc on Sunday.
The medical source, speaking to Reuters, said two people who had been taken to a nearby military hospital had died shortly after the blast. A police source said that eight people had been wounded when speaking to Reuters earlier.
As of yet, no one has claimed responsibility for the attack, but Yemen's security forces have been increasingly used as targets by Islamist militants.
Since the wide-scale protests that eventually forced out long-serving President Ali Abdullah Saleh in 2011, Yemen has been rocked by violence and turmoil. Home to Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, one of the militant group's most active branches, Yemen is "wrestling with instability, internal conflicts and poor governance", according to Reuters.