Yemen Switches off Mobile Phones for Unity Celebrations
The authorities in Yemen temporarily disconnected the country's mobile phone network Monday for "security reasons" in the run-up to the celebrations marking the country's 10th anniversary of unity, which falls on May 22, AFP reported.
The phones will be switched off until May 24, an official from the telecommunications ministry told AFP, asking not to be named.
Several users in Sanaa and the southern port city of Aden confirmed to AFP that they had been unable to make or receive calls on their mobiles, but most of them did not know why.
Some 10,000 Yemeni youths are taking part in the formations of sport and military performances organized for this occasion, which will be held at al-Sabein square in the capital Sanaa, said ArabicNews.com.
It is the first time Yemen has taken such a step on the anniversary, which marks the unity of the formerly separate states of North and South Yemen.
Leaders and officials from about fifty countries are expected to take part.
Security has already been tightened in the Yemeni capital, Sanaa, where a big military parade is to take place next Monday – (Several Sources)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)