Yemen to Turn Islamic Jihad Man over to Prosecutor in UK Embassy Attack Case
The case of an Islamic Jihad member suspected of throwing a grenade at the British embassy will be handed over to the public prosecutor next week, Interior Minister Hussein Arab said in an interview published Thursday.
The questioning of the unidentified man "is on the way to being closed" and "the case will be put before the public prosecutor next week," General Arab told the Defense Ministry newspaper called September 26.
Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh revealed last week that a Yemeni member of the radical Islamic Jihad group had been arrested for the attack on the embassy in Sanaa.
The government has said the October 13 attack, which came a day after a suspected suicide bombing of a US destroyer killed 17 US sailors in the port of Aden, was designed to damage relations between Sanaa and London.
Neither Yemen nor Britain has officially linked the two explosions, but President Ali Abdullah Saleh said overnight that several top Islamic Jihad leaders are under arrest in connection with the bombing of the USS Cole guided-missile destroyer.
The Islamic Jihad suspects were from Yemen, Egypt, Algeria and other Arab states, he said, without giving a number for those held.
No one was hurt in the embassy blast, which destroyed a generator, blackened walls and shattered windows in and around the building – SANAA (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)