Yemeni Court Delays Verdict in British Embassy Blast Trial
A Yemeni court has delayed until July 22 delivering its verdict in the case of four men accused of an October 2000 attack on the British embassy in the Yemeni capital, said AFP.
Hussein Alwan, presiding judge of the special tribunal set up in Sanaa to try terrorism and kidnapping cases, said the new date would allow extra time for the "completion of the preparation of the verdict."
At the end of the trial last week, the prosecution called for the maximum penalty, without specifically calling for the death sentence or life in prison, for the four accused.
Abu Bakr Jayol, Ahmad Masood, Salem Salem Abu Jahel and Faris Saleh Taher are accused of carrying out the bombing of the UK Embassy and the explosions in Aden in the beginning of this year.
Jayol and Masood are also accused of planting explosives near the residence of ex-minister of interior Hussein Arab.
During the final hearing session held last Monday, the prosecutor confirmed the charges against the suspects. Jayol and Masood confessed their involvement in the bombing and Aden explosions.
Masood added that he planted explosives near the interior minister's house in connivance with one of the minister's escorts named Hadi Masood, said the Times.
The other two suspects denied participating in the terrorist attacks.
The first two suspects said they had nothing to add to their confessions before the court during 10 sessions, and appealed for justice.
The advocate of the fourth suspect defended his client and said that he had nothing to do with the case.
He also said that the other suspects denied his client's involvement in the bombing of the embassy and had asked the judge to set him free – Albawaba.com
© 2001 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Yemeni Convicts’ Appeal in British Embassy Blast Postponed Indefinitely
- Yemeni Court Sentences Four in British Embassy Bombing
- Court Sets Date for Final Arguments in Sanaa Ripper Case
- Sana’a appeals court confirms sentences of 15 men involved in bombing attack
- Trial begins of Yemeni accused of attack in mosque