Yemeni President Undergoes Medical Tests in US
Yemen's President Ali Abdullah Saleh, 58, has undergone "routine" medical tests in the United States after taking part in the UN millennium summit in New York, the official news agency SABA reported on Sunday.
It said the tests were carried out at the Mayo Clinic in Cleveland, Ohio, and that Saleh was to leave hospital on Sunday ahead of a visit to Cuba.
The field marshal has ruled Yemen ever since its unification in 1990 and his mandate has been renewed twice -- by MPs in 1994 and by direct vote last September -- after his troops crushed a southern secessionist bid in a two-month civil war.
Saleh was first elected head of state in 1978 by the parliament of the former North Yemen - SANAA (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Yemeni President in Germany to Continue Medical Check-Ups
- Yemeni conjoined twins to undergo separation surgery
- Cyprus President to undergo '\'medical check-up'\' in US
- "American in Arabia": In the Waiting Room with Saleh, Yemen's US Medical Brush Off
- Yemenis Vote ‘Yes’ to Extend Mandates of President, MPs