Dare to be blonde: Iraqi female candidate shakes up the election
Zughaibi's campaign poster is hotly contested. (photo courtesy of Facebook)
Most female politicians in Iraq wear the traditional black abaya, but one daring candidate, Ashwaq Talib al Zughaibi, has decided to spice things up, al Arabiya reports.
On her most recent campaign poster, Zughaibi dons bright pink lipstick and lets her blonde curls flow freely. Her poster reads “your own the decision, so make a better choice.”
Her decision to defy tradition has caused her to receive some criticism from Iraqis.
“She looks stupid. What qualifications does she have besides her looks?” said one Facebook user.
Another sarcastically asked, “Is she a political candidate or a singer?”
However, others defended her, saying she has never been seen drinking at bars and therefore should not be judged.
Whatever people’s opinions, she certainly has sparked a lot of interest; so far her poster has over 800 views on Facebook.
- Epic fail: Iraqi politician "caught" faking religion to boost election campaign
- Female Salafist candidate uses her husband’s photo on campaign posters
- Egyptian Female Presidential Candidate Aims to Give Voice to Minorities
- Libyan children 'congratulate' royal couple in a bizarre way
- Where protests fail, genitals prevail: Morsi's ladies mobilize for sexual Jihad