Guess which Middle Eastern city ranked #1 in the world for shopping and hotels
Dubai has ranked best in the world for hotels and shopping, according to survey by popular travel website, TripAdvisor.
Dubai finished ahead of Cancun and Bangkok in the best hotels category and ahead of New York and London for shopping in TripAdvisor’s recently published second annual Cities Survey. The survey results are based on more than 54,000 responses from those who had recently written reviews for featured cities on the TripAdvisor website.
Dubai is home to the world’s largest shopping centre, Dubai Mall, which attracted 75 million visitors in 2013. It is also home to some of the most luxurious hotels including The Atlantis and the Burj Al Arab. In 2013, more than 11 million visitors checked into hotels in the emirate.
TripAdvisor describes Dubai as “a cosmopolitan oasis, a futuristic cityscape that towers over the Arabian Desert.”
Tokyo ranked first overall on the TripAdvisor Cities Survey ahead of New York and Barcelona. The Japanese capital received high marks for its hospitality, cleanliness and outstanding public transit system, according to TripAdvisor.
The lowest ranking for overall experience was taken out by Mumbai, followed by Punta Cana and Moscow.
Dubai was the lowest ranked city for culture. The top three cities for culture were Rome, Vienna and Paris.
In last week’s Cities of Opportunity study, Dubai was ranked last for sustainability and the natural environment.
- What else? Dubai ranks first globally for shopping, hotel experience
- Which Middle Eastern city now outranks New York for travel hotspots?
- 8-year-old Yemeni child dies at hands of 40-year-old husband on wedding night
- Abu Dhabi is where the cameras are: city ranked top filming destination in the world
- Which Middle East city is one of the most influential in the world?