24 oil discoveries in Libya
Libya announced that the oil companies made over the past year 24 new oil discoveries. Shukri Ghanem, head of the National Libyan Oil Corporation was quoted as saying that Libya obtained more than $ 18 billion in return for granting licenses to dozens of global companies to explore for oil in the Libyan territory.
He pointed out that the proceeds came through four rounds of involving 43 oil companies, which gained concessions to search for oil. Ghanem added that the current situation of the global oil market does not justify offering a new round of tenders.
Libyais the third largest producer of oil in Africa and is also a member of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries "OPEC". It produces 2 million barrels a day while its estimated reserves amount to 42 billion barrels.
- How a terminal is standing in the way of Egypt's ambitions to restore its gas industry
- A glimpse of normalcy: how the restarting of the El-Sharara oil reignited hope for the Libyan economy
- Wishful thinking? US shale revolution won't affect the Middle East, says second opinion
- With the US about to become a net exporter, is the ME’s crude oil on its way to dispensablity?
- Adding fuel to the fire: how Egypt's prime minster is seeking to justify subsidy cuts