Gaza Border: Two Palestinians killed, Israeli soldier wounded
Israeli troops shot dead two Palestinian fighters who had infiltrated Israel from the Gaza Strip on Friday, the military said. "There was an exchange of fire between the IDF (Israel military) and Palestinian gunmen who had infiltrated into Israeli territory. As a result two gunmen were killed," an Israeli spokeswoman said.
According to AFP, she said the men, carrying Kalashnikov assault rifles, were intercepted near southern Israeli villages.
Locals were told to stay indoors and local roads were closed as the troops and the infiltrators traded fire, Israel's army radio reported.
Moawiya Hassanein, the head of Gaza emergency services, said there was coordination with Israel to have the bodies of the two fighters returned to the Palestinian enclave.
Later on Friday, inan Israeli army tracker moving near the border fence was wounded by gunfire from the Gaza side and was flown by helicopter to hospital. His injuries were described as "moderate," meaning that his life was not believed to be in danger.
- Trial begins for Israeli soldier who shot and killed wounded Palestinian
- Israel returns body of 15-year-old Palestinian shot dead by ‘mistake’
- Two Israeli soldiers wounded after shots fired from Egypt - IDF
- Three Armed Palestinians Killed, Two Israeli Soldiers Injured in Gunbattle on Egyptian-Israeli Border
- IDF soldier who killed a wounded Palestinian to be tried for manslaughter