Egypt’s Minister of Electricity, Ali Al-Saeidy, estimates the investment needs of the Egyptian electricity sector at 4.5 billion Egyptian pounds ($1 billion) in the upcoming fiscal year 2001/2002.
The private sector, which runs various electricity projects based on the BOT system, is expected to provide EP 2.1 billion of the required investments, reports Al-Hayat daily. The government, various Arab investment funds and the European Investment Bank will supply the remainder.
Egypt’s electricity generation capacity currently stands at 17 gigawatts: the government plans to add an additional 9.3 gigawatts by 2010. Approximately 84 percent of Egypt's electric generating capacity is from gas turbines, with the remaining 16 percent being hydroelectric, most of which is supplied by the Aswan High Dam. –(MENA Report)
© 2001 Mena Report (www.menareport.com )