Jordan’s only seaport, Aqaba, has seen the the volume of cargo exported via its facilities rise 7 percent during the first six months of 2000, compared to the same period in 1999, reported Al-Bayan daily.
The port is divided into threesections—the Main Port, the Industrial Port and the Container Port. The Industrial Port has three jetties, with one being used for fertilizers and potash, one for oil and one for timber.
By the year 2010 it is estimated that the total volume of exports leaving via Aqaba will total 29.2 million tons per annum, with potash leading among the industrial products. Significant amounts of sulfur, phosphoric acid, NPK and additional Dead Sea products are expected to be exported.
Port operations began in Aqaba in 1939. The harbor facilities are operated by the Ports Corporation, a Jordanian government-owned body operating under the auspices of the Ministry of Transport. – (Albawaba-MEBG)