Japanese trade with the UAE during the first six months of 2004 expanded by 16.4 per cent to $10.1937 billion compared to $8.754 billion during the same period in 2003.
This is almost 72 per cent of the total trade value for the year 2003. During the first half of 2004 there had been a big jump of 32.31 per cent in the imports of the UAE that reached to a $2.137 billion while the export from UAE grew by 12.85 per cent to $8.056.0 billion.
Japan’s world trade during this period rose to $489.52 billion from 406.51 billion, an increase by more than 20 per cent.
Manufactured products constituted 95.59 per cent of the total exports to the UAE. Foodstuff, raw materials and mineral fuels constituted the remaining 4.41 per cent. Of the manufactured products, 75.43 per cent were covered by machinery & equipment amounting to $1.612 billion, which included general machinery, electrical machinery, transport equipment and precision.
Japan imported 187.91 million barrels of crude oil from the UAE during the first six months of the current year; 4.01 per cent higher than the same period in the previous year.