Out of 250 stationery companies in 70 developing countries, the Jordanian National Stationery Industry Company (NSIC) was chosen along with 14 others to export its products to the European market.
The Dutch Centre for the Promotion of Imports from Developing Countries (CPI) selects companies according to quality, design, packaging and research.
CPI also studies the companies' financial status, ability to expand, packaging design along with other criteria, over a three-year period.
"We are very proud to have been chosen, however we expected it, as we work properly, and always aim at improvement; our staff get regular training in sales, marketing, management and other things," Muneer Assi, NSIC general manager told the Jordan Times.
The selected companies will be financed by CPI for two successive years to take part in the six-day 'Paper World' - the world's biggest stationery exhibition, that kicks off on Jan. 26, 2001 in Frankfurt, Germany.
"The international exhibition draws 450,000 visitors annually and it is a great opportunity for our company as the world will be able to see our products," Assi added.
"The company imports vast amounts of raw material in order to make top quality products," he added.
Established in early 1996, NSIC produces more than 100 promotional stationery items, desk sets, phone books and photo albums.
NSIC sells 40 per cent of its products locally, while the remaining 60 per cent are exported to the Arab Gulf states and, recently, to North Africa.
The company will enter the European market next year, and Assi said, hopes to enter the US market soon after that.
"I would advise local companies to look for support programmes that will help their businesses as the Industrial Development Bank, the Royal Scientific Society, and the Jordan United States Business Partnership (JUSBP)," Assi said.
NSIC is also competing for the King Abdullah II Award for Excellence, along with two other medium- and small-size industrial companies, results of which will be announced in October. — ( Jordan Times )
© 2000 Mena Report (www.menareport.com )