Saudi Arabia plans to impose limits and sanctions on the use of water to tackle the danger of depleting national water resources.The move is an admission that government awareness campaigns have failed to reduce the indiscriminate use of water.
The government will restrict the digging of artesian wells and increase the price of water. It hopes this will conserve fresh water resources that are so scarce in a nation that is 90 percent desert.
An official at the Saudi ministry of agriculture said government agricultural programs of the 1970's and 1980's - especially the massive wheat program - had put a strain on the kingdom's scarce water resources.
Water production has also challenged Saudi efforts - the country produces 600 million gallons of water a day to covers 70 percent of the people's drinking needs. The other 30 percent is fresh water.
There are 52 purification plants in Saudi Arabia that produce water enough electricity to cover about 20 percent of national energy requirements. –(Albawaba-MEBG)
© 2000 Mena Report (www.menareport.com )