Sheikh Mohamed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, created a new hashtag on Twitter; #ShkMohdJournal.
On the hashtag #ShkMohdJournal, Sheikh Mohamed writes tweets that sum up his experience as a leader and offer valuable lessons in life.
Some of the tweets on #ShkMohdJournal:
27 April 2013
- The difference between a successful government & a failed one, is determined by how it deals with the obstacles that it’s nationals face.
13 October 2012
- Great ideas do not make leaders, they are just ideas, but accumulated accomplishments, big or small, make a great leader.
- Some officials come to me with great ideas, but when I follow up later, I notice they fail to turn them into accomplishments.
- A true leader turns a dream or an idea into reality & a visualization into implementation.History has no place for dreamers.
12 October 2012
- I like reading books, I read books briefings, the news of the world and I enjoy reading about history.
- Learning & leadership , a cause & a result. The more we accomplish, the more we discover the need to learn more.
- I spoke with an official about this & his excuse was he was too busy to read. I said: end of learning.. end of leadership.
03 October 2012
- A leader cannot lead from behind. He must inspire his staff by being the first to take initiatives and the first to innovate
- I have learned many lessons from my father & role model Sheikh Rashid.. mainly through his actions rather than words
- When a leader always leads by example in everything... his employees can never ignore these silent messages
02 October 2012
- One of the most important secrets of human advancement is the spirit of competition.
- Absence of a competitor is one of the worst things a leader can face. It leads to a relaxed & a non-challenging environment.
- In Gov. we created competitions through Excellence Awards and set up a competitiveness council to compete as a state.
- To all officials: Compete with yourself, create an external competitor & instill a competitive spirit among your employees.
30 September 2012
- No great leader without a great team.. To build a great team you need to teach, empower & celebrate success.
- A single hero is a risk to organizations. He who takes over all work & successes in an organization is no hero & no leader.
- Building great teams leads to great achievements & endless potentials.. building personal glories brings nothing at all.
29 September 2012
- A govt leader must unite minds before efforts.. A vision must be established to align minds & hearts.
- When we introduced vision & strategy concepts in govt, there was resistance, but it faded away with success.
- As a leader, if you don’t know where you are heading, you would find yourself taken over by circumstances & confusing views.
26 September 2012
- Leaders resting in their offices can only hang old trophies on walls & watch new achievements pass them by.
- True leaders do not isolate themselves behind closed doors? Reality is best experienced in the field.
- In a visit to a govt entity, No. of managers behind closed doors was a shock; I decided doors were no longer needed there.
25 September 2012
- Government leaders are honored by serving the people? Leaders’ honor comes from the nobleness of their mission.
- Leaders’ titles are not the source of pride as they will not last. Only bringing benefit to people lasts & justifies pride.
- I often tell officials: “Put citizens at the heart of all your plans; they are the true judge of your success, not me.”
24 September 2012
- Investing in creating future leaders is the way to lead the future... Humans, more than towers, should rise sky high.
- The 10-yrs old MBR leadership program in Dubai & its 4-yrs old federal equivalent are showing dazzling results.
- A leader could make or break a nation. Whereas leaders like Zayed & Rashid built a nation, other leaders destroyed theirs.