A three-storey building in compound used by Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi has been destroyed in an air strike. The Sunday-night attack was the first on the Bab al-Azizia.
Early Monday, journalists were invited to visit the site. Spokesman Mussa Ibrahim described it a "barbaric bombing" but said no one had been hurt.
Western officials conveyed on Monday that the building hit in the attack was a military command and control centre for the Libyan ruler.
Earlier, the US military said the campaign, called Operation Odyssey Dawn, had succeeded in "severely degrading" Gaddafi''s air defenses. US Navy Vice Admiral William E Gortney stressed in a press briefing on Sunday that the Libyan leader is not a target for the international military assault.