The United Nations Secretary-General and the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) have both expressed "deep shock and sadness" over a fatal confrontation in Cairo between Egyptian police and Sudanese protesters who have been demanding resettlement to third countries and better living conditions.
“Their deaths are a terrible tragedy that cannot be justified,” a spokesman for Mr. Annan said in a formal statement. High Commissioner Antonio Guterres also said the bloodshed was totally unjustified.
Up to 2,500 Sudanese migrants had been demonstrating in Cairo’s Mostafa Mahmoud Park since 29 September, according to UNHCR.
The spokesman said the Secretary-General expressed “profound regret” that this situation was not resolved peacefully and through dialogue, as UNHCR had strongly urged. “I am deeply shocked and saddened by the tragic events early today in Cairo,” Mr. Guterres said in Geneva.
At least 25 Sudanese refugees were killed in the clashes. A judicial inquiry has been opened into the deadly violence, AFP reported Saturday.