Fifteen people in the village of Namrin, Dinnieh, have been taken to hospital in the last two weeks after being poisoned by contaminated drinking water, the Daily Star reported Wednesday.
Namrin Mayor Mustafa Najm was quoted by the daily as saying that all the cases were treated at Seer Hospital and discharged the same day after the people suffered from vomiting, diarrhea and fever.
Najm said the Ain Araar Springs, which supply the region with drinking water, were contaminated by irrigation water containing fertilizers that somehow filtered into the springs.
"We sent a letter to the Ministry of Electricity and Water Resources with the laboratory test results from samples taken from the springs, which showed the water was highly contaminated," the paper reported its source as saying.
The paper did not cite reactions by the government - Albawaba.com
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com )