Two Palestinian students were wounded when a group of Jewish settlers opened fire on their school in the northern West Bank town of Huwara on Monday, hospital and school officials said.
One of the students, a 15-year-old boy, was seriously wounded and undergoing surgery after being shot in the stomach, the hospital officials said, while a 16-year-old boy was injured in the foot.
School officials said the settlers arrived in three cars at the secondary school in Huwara, south of Nablus, and opened fire.
The Israeli army said however that a settler had retaliated after his car was pelted by stones but denied anyone had been hurt.
"There was stone-throwing against a settler's car and he opened fire but there were no injuries," an army spokesman said.
Meanwhile, Israeli police said they arrested Monday two settlers suspected of killing a Palestinian teenager in the West Bank the day before.
The body of Mohammed Hamad Shalesh, 18, who was shot with two bullets in the head, was discovered by Israeli soldiers on a road near the town of Ramallah.
One of those arrested was seriously injured in a Palestinian attack several months ago, the police said, without elaborating.
Palestinian witnesses said that the victim was shot at from a car after stones had been thrown at vehicles belonging to settlers.
More than 340 people, most of them Palestinians, have been killed since the violence flared across the occupied territories in late September -- NABLUS (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com )