Jordan has arrested 11 suspected militants, including four Saudi nationals and a Syrian, who planned to bomb embassies, resorts and US targets. They were arrested prior to the war on Iraq.
State Security Court prosecutor general, Colonel Mahmoud Obeidat said the suspectes were not connected to Osama bin Laden's al Qaeda network. Quoted by Al Hayat newspaper on Tuesday, Obeidat said they decided to launch attacks on US targets as American forces were deployed in the region before the invasion to Iraq. Obeidat refused to disclose the sites planned to be targeted by the cell.
Al Rai newspaper on Monday quoted sources that said authorities had been interrogating the men following their arrest five months ago, but that information about the arrests had been withheld to maintain secrecy.
The group is charged with committing acts of terror against US and Western interests, possessing explosives and for being members of an illegal group. Although no trial has been set, they face the death penalty if convicted. (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com )