The Jordanian Ministry of Transport on Tuesday denied a local press report that a large number of Jordanian trucks were stranded at the Egyptian-Libyan border and had been barred from entering Libyan territory.
Ministry Secretary General Alaa Bataineh was quoted by the Jordan Times as saying that “the report, which was published in Al Arab Al Yawm on Monday, contained no truth.”
The report said 150-300 trucks laden with perishable foodstuffs had been blocked from crossing the Libyan border.
The paper's report said the Libyan government had given no explanation for the measure, adding that Jordanian officials were investigating the report and dealing with the situation.
In a statement to the Jordan news agency, Petra, Bataineh said three Jordanian trucks carrying ice cream had been delayed, and quoted officials at the Jordanian embassy in Libya as saying the delay was because the Libyan importer had not obtained permission for the shipment.
Meanwhile, the foreign ministry here confirmed Bataineh's statement, said the daily – Albawaba.com
© 2001 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com )