Shots were fired on Saturday near a US military convoy, the seventh shooting involving Americans in Kuwait since October.
"This morning at approximately 8:15 am (0515 GMT) a convoy reported shots fired from a car on the 6th ring road at the 605 overpass," US army spokesman Sgt First Class David Dismukes told AFP news agency.
There were no injuries reported, and Dismukes could not specify if the shots were aimed at the convoy.
Meanwhile, in Washington, a high-ranking State Department official said the United States might scale down its diplomatic presence in Kuwait due to heightened security concerns.
Saturday's gunfire appeared similar to three previous incidents, when shots were reportedly fired near American soldiers, either traveling in a convoy or during exercises, and with no reported injuries.
In the meantime, a diplomatic source told the news agency that a suspect license plate number had been registered during Saturday's shooting and passed onto Kuwaiti security authorities.
However, a senior Kuwaiti security official told the agency that a report on Saturday's incident had thus far not been filed with the local authorities. (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com )