On the occasion of the International Women's Day, a Safir daily provides the following information on the status of the Lebanese women.
* 50.48 percent of the country's population are women
* 27 percent of the women are economically active out of a labor force of 3.1 million workers
* 49 percent of the working women cover more than 40 percent of their families' expenditures
* The average salary of men is higher by 27 percent compared to women. In some professions, this gap widens to 85 percent
* The average wage in Lebanon hits LL689,000 per month (LL732,000 for man, but just LL568,000 for woman)
* Illiteracy rate among females (10 years and plus) equals 16 percent (among males just 2.7 percent). (LL1507=$1)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com )