The Lockerbie trial was adjourned Wednesday for one day to allow defense lawyers to study the final text of the murder charge against two Libyans accused of the December 1988 bombing, reported AFP.
Prosecutors had asked the court Tuesday to retain only one charge, that of murder, against the two and drop counts of conspiracy to murder and breach of aviation security, said the agency.
According to the BBC.online, al-Amin Khalifa Fhimah, 44, and Abdel Basset Ali al-Megrahi, 48, both deny murder.
The indictment had to be modified, and defense lawyers indicated Wednesday that they had not had time to study the new wording, said the BBC.
According to the agency, the three judges, presiding the case, agreed for an adjournment until early Thursday, after prosecutors completed their final submissions.
The trial is expected to be over within a fortnight following a surprise move by the defense teams, which said on Monday that they would offer no further evidence, reported the BBC.
The decision by advocates for the pair came after the Syrian Government refused to hand over evidence, which was considered vital to the defense case.
Al Megrahi had been expected to give evidence as part of the defense's attempt to establish that Palestinian hardline groups, not Libyans, were responsible for the atrocity, said the BBC.
The prosecution called 230 witnesses, none of whom saw the bomb being placed on the doomed jumbo, added the BBC.
Instead, those leading the case have relied on evidence, which they say when put together proves the guilt of the two men, said the BBC -- (Several Sources)
© 2001 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com )