The death toll in a wave of bloodshed across Algeria over the weekend has risen to more than 50, mostly civilians, press reports said Monday.
Up to 40 civilians were reported killed in three massacres in Medea, Tenes and Khemis-Miliana on Saturday and Sunday.
On Monday the daily El-Youm added to the weekend toll saying security forces had also killed 10 Islamic militants and captured two others who had abducted eight women in the Skikda region, 500 kilometers (310 miles) east of the capital Algiers.
Other media reports said a police officer was shot in the city of Chlef, while a civilian defense force member was killed in Zemmouri.
An armed group also launched an attack on a cafe in Batna killing one person and a soldier on leave also died near Annaba.
The series of attacks mark the bloodiest weekend since the beginning of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which often sees an increase in violence.
More than 200 people have died since the start of the fasting month on November 27.
But prior to this weekend's bloodshed, civilians had been largely spared with most victims being either government forces or armed insurgents, according to press reports.
At least 100,000 people have died since the militants took up arms in 1992 after the army called off the second round of elections the Islamic Salvation Front was poised to win -- ALGIERS (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com )