Egyptian president, Muhammad Morsi, said on Tuesday that he will stand by his edict giving him new powers in office. He told senior judges that the decree, announced on Thursday, was limited to “sovereignty-related issues” and that he had not infringed on their authority.
Morsi had previously indicated that he might be back tracking slightly, as he announced the measures were only temporary. His latest move has been seen as an effort to try and regain some control of the situation, as more protests are planned for Tuesday.
The judiciary will be the main arm affected by Morsi’s new powers. In response, judges went on strike on Sunday and Monday, describing the move as an “assault” on their independence and freedom.
Protests so far have left one person dead and hundreds injured in clashes across the country. The Muslim Brotherhood have cancelled a planed demonstration in support of the president out of fear of “bloodshed”.
Last Thursday, Morsi announced a decree giving himself extensive powers, which would go beyond judicial review, in an effort to “save the revolution”. Opposition leaders have called Morsi a “modern day Pharaoh” and a dictator.