A Palestinian man was shot and wounded in Hebron Friday morning in a gunfire attack by Israeli settlers, reported The Jerusalem Post.
The paper quoted the man as saying that he was shot at by a settler near the the Sussiya settlement, south of Hebron.
The man, who suffered moderate to critical gunshot wounds, made his own way to the road adjacent to Tel Maon. From there he was evacuated to Soroka Hospital in Be'er Sheva for treatment of his wounds, said the report.
The settler claimed that the Palestinian approached a farm near Sussiya and didn't respond to calls by guards to stop.
But Palestinian eyewitnesses said that the settlers had shot more than 20 bullets into a group of Palestinians, wounding the man, said Haaretz, adding that Israeli army sources confirmed that a large number of bullets had been fired at the Palestinians.
The Israeli and the police are investigating the incident and have detained several Israeli residents of the area for interrogation, said the post.
Overnight, there were heavy exchanges of fire in the West Bank and Gaza Strip. There were no injuries in any of the incidents, according to Haaretz.
Israeli troops and Palestinian gunmen exchanged heavy fire near the Netzarim settlement in the Gaza Strip after Palestinians fired two mortar shells at the settlement. Shots were also fired at the Neveh Dekalim settlement, the report added.
In addition, there were two incidents of Palestinians firing on Israeli vehicles in the West Bank. In both incidents the vehicles were damaged, but the drivers escaped unhurt, said the daily. Two bombs exploded on the road leading to the West Bank settlement of Elon Moreh, and army bases came under fire in Mount Eval, Mount Grizim, Hebron and near the settlement of Homesh – Albawaba.com
© 2001 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com )