A Palestinian was killed and nine others were injured Friday by Israeli army fire along the border with the Gaza Strip, an official said, in the first violence since the truce concluded between Israel and Gaza two days ago.
The shooting was an isolated incident and should not undermine the cease-fire brokered by Egypt, after eight days of fighting, the bloodiest period in four years between Hamas and Israel. Gaza Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh urged Hamas fighters to respect the cease-fire.
The man killed Friday belonged to a group of people who had approached the border with Israel to pick up debris from an Israeli army jeep damaged during the fighting, according to health official Adnan Abu Salmia. The soldiers opened fire, killing one man and wounding nine others, according to the same source.
Citing a preliminary investigation, the Israeli army said there had been several isolated attempts of infiltration into Israel from Gaza and warning shots were fired into the air when a group approached.
Meanwhile, in Cairo, further discussions under the auspices of Egypt should focus on the next step of the cease-fire, including a new agreement on the blockade imposed on the Gaza Strip since Hamas came to power in 2007. Hamas has requested a waiver of the restrictions at the border while Israel insists that Hamas must stop the smuggling of weapons into the Palestinian territory.