Iran's main armed opposition group, the People's Mujahedeen, said Wednesday that a mortar attack it claimed to have launched on security headquarters in Tehran at the weekend was carried out by a unit made up exclusively of women.
In a statement received by AFP here, the Mujuahedeen said "a number or Revolutionary Guards were killed or wounded" in the operation on Sunday morning, using weapons seized from government forces.
The group gave no details on the all-woman unit, which it said was responsible for "reconnoitering, planning, commanding and the actual attack".
Iran's official news agency IRNA had said on Monday that mortar shells hit northern Tehran overnight, but that no one was injured as the missiles fell onto open space.
It blamed "unidentified terrorists" for the second such attack in the capital in as many days.
On Saturday, the Mujahedeen said, the command centre of anti-riot units of state security forces and the headquarters of its commanding officer were "pounded with 82 millimeter mortars, inflicting heavy casualties and damages on enemy forces."
In Tehran, the Iranian authorities said "agents" had been arrested after mortar attacks on Saturday. The explosions occurred in areas surrounding Park-e-Melat (Melat Park) and the Enqelab sports complex, IRNA said.
The Iraq-based Mujahadeen said the targets were the headquarters of the commander-in-chief of the Revolutionary Guards, General Rahim Safavi, and of the Tehran commander, Brigadier General Mohammad-Ali Aaziz Jaafari -- NICOSIA (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com )