The Polisario Front fighting to end Moroccan rule over the occupied Western Sahara on Monday rejected the latest United Nations proposal for a settlement of the conflict, the Sahara Press Service (SPS) agency reported.
The Sahrawi guerrilla movement, in a statement released through SPS, said the plan presented last week by UN special envoy for the Western Sahara James Baker offered nothing new.
The United Nations proposed "four years of self-government, at the end of which an electoral body, which would be 65 percent Moroccan colonists, would decide in a referendum on the definitive status of the territory," SPS said.
"This is neither a fifth way nor a new plan," added the statement, referring to four other proposals put forward in February 2002 by UN Secretary General Kofi Annan.
Baker met last week with the leaders of Morocco, Algeria and the Polisario Front. (Albawaba.com)