Egyptian intelligence sources said on Sunday that a jihadist activist identified as Ibrahim Aweidah Nasser Amadaan was killed by a rocket fire in Central Sinai. According to the report, the rocket was fired by an Israeli aircraft while he was riding a motorcycle near a Badawi town about 15 kilometers from the Israeli border.
The reports conveyed that the victim was a member of a jihadist group. He was already arrested several days ago during the Egyptian military campaign in northern Sinai, but the security services later released him.
An Egyptian security source said the dead man was involved in an attack against Israel last year. A number of Israelis were killed in that attack.
Meanwhile, Egyptian security sources confirmed that the military campaign launched by Egypt against terror groups in the Sinai has stopped. According to them, there have been attempts to by the authorities to reach a deal with the jihadist groups in the Sinai Peninsula to stop the violence and stop their military activities. In return, it seems Israel decided to launch missile strikes against terrorist elements within Sinai.
It should be mentioned that the Egyptian authorities decided on Saturday to reopen the Rafah crossing, the only point of entry into the Gaza Strip from Egypt, according to Egyptian official sources. Following the death of 16 Egyptian border guards in an attack in Sinai Egyptian authorities had closed this terminal.
Last week, the head of the Hamas government in Gaza, Ismail Haniyeh urged Egypt to open the Rafah crossing. "I call my brother Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi to open the Rafah crossing to Gaza," he said. He also promised that he would investigate the attack, which led to the largest military assault launched in Sinai Peninsula for almost 40 years.