Kuwait has failed to complete a deal for the purchase of anti-aircraft systems from Egypt, claims a report by Middle East Newslink (MENL).
MENL said that Kuwaiti Defense Minister Jaber Mubarak Al Sabah ended a four-day visit to Cairo over the weekend without signing an expected $120 million agreement to purchase the Al Amoun air defense system.
Sabah was expected to sign for an order of at least two systems with an option for an additional three.
According to MENL, neither Egypt nor Kuwait cited a reason for the failure to sign the weapons deal. The two countries said they discussed a range of military cooperation.
Sabah held talks with Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak and later with Defense Minister Hussein Tantawi. On Sunday, the Kuwaiti defense minister briefed the cabinet and relayed a message from Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak to Emir Jaber Al Ahmad Al Sabah.
According to previous reports, some Kuwaiti parliamentarians have complained that the Amoun air defense system is unnecessary. They said the system -- first purchased in Kuwait in 1988 -- is outdated and that Kuwait has access to advanced anti-aircraft weapons from the West.
Sabah rejected the criticism of the arms deals.
He has previously said the military would not be starved for funds and would continue to procure defense systems - Albawaba.com