Citing increased security concerns, the United States on Thursday renewed a warning for U.S. citizens to avoid travel to Saudi Arabia.
"Information indicates that terrorist groups may be in the final phases of planning attacks against U.S. interests in Saudi Arabia," the State Department noted in a "travel warning."
The warning, the third this year regarding travel to Saudi Arabia and the Gulf region, said there was no information on a possible target.
The statement made no mention of the shooting of a U.S. civilian worker at a naval base in Saudi Arabia earlier on Thursday. The State Department said it was continuing to offer free transportation out of the kingdom for U.S. Embassy dependents and non-emergency staff who decide to leave.
"Private U.S. citizens currently in Saudi Arabia should evaluate their own security situations and should consider departing Saudi Arabia," the State Department said.
It urged U.S. citizens who choose to remain in Saudi Arabia despite the travel warning to register at the U.S. Embassy in Riyadh or at the consulates in Jeddah and Dhahran. (Albawaba.com)