Sudan’s Information Minister Mahdi Ibrahim said during a visit to Cairo on Wednesday that his government's forces were involved in fighting in southern Sudan, but that it had to defend "against any aggression."
In the first official Sudanese comment regarding the fighting in Mayom county in Western Upper Nile, Ibrahim said "the Sudanese government must defend Sudanese territory against any aggression. "That's what happened lately," he told journalists in the Egyptian capital who asked about rebel accusations that government forces had launched an attack in the south, despite a July 20 framework accord aimed at ending a 19-year civil war, according to AFP.
The rebel Sudan People's Liberation Army (SPLA) said the government offensive began on July 26 and that up to 300 people had been killed and up to 100,000 displaced through Tuesday. (Albawaba.com)
© 2002 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com )