Two children were killed Saturday in an explosion caused by a gas leak inside a shop in Beirut, said agencies.
The children, Mohamad Ziad Shuman, 9, and his brother Sami, 12, were in the building's elevator at the time of the morning blast that took place in the neighborhood of al-Tareiq al-Jaddeda.
They were both transported to the nearby Makassed Hospital where Mohamad soon died, a police officer told AFP.
Sami died a few hours later in hospital, the agency added.
The blast also inflicted damage to nearby shops, homes and cars, said the Omani News Agency (ONA) -- Albawaba.com
© 2001 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com )