The Istiqlal party won 3,890 seats in Friday's communal elections, followed by the Socialist Union of Popular Forces (USFP), with 3,373 seats and the National Rally of Independents (RNI) with 2,841 seats.
Morocco's Interior minister, El Mustapha Sahel, told reporters Saturday evening, the three parties are followed by the Popular Movement (2,248 seats), the Democratic Union (1,515 seats) and the national Popular Movement (1406 seats), the MAP reported.
The mainstream Islamist party, the PJD, won less than 3% of the vote - the result mainly of its decision to stand in only a fifth of the constituencies.
Here follows the complete results announced by the interior minister:
- Istiqlal Party: 3,890 seats
- Socialist Union of Popular Forces: 3,373 seats
- National Rally of Independents; 2,841 seats
- Popular Movement: 2,248 seats
- Democratic Union: 1,515 seats
- National Popular Movement: 1,406 seats
- Party of Progress and Socialism: 1,207 seats
- Constitutional Union: 959 seats
- National Democrat Party: 889 seats
- Front of Democratic Forces: 726 seats
- Party of Justice and Development: 593 seats
- Democratic Socialist Party: 469 seats
- Al-Ahd Party: 437 seats
- Party of the League of Freedoms: 429 seats
- Party of the Unified Socialist Left: 303 seats
- Democratic Social Movement: 301 seats
- Party of Reform and Development: 253 seats
- Party of the Ittihadi National Congress: 240 seats
- Party of Environment and Development: 168 seats
- Party of Renewal and Equity: 125 seats
- Moroccan Liberal Party: 114 seats
- Non-Affiliated Candidates: 109 seats
- Democratic Party of Independence: 96 seats
- Party of Citizenship Initiative and development: 71 seats
- Party of Citizen Forces: 71 seats
- Party of social center: 67 seats
- Party of Action: 43 seats
A percentage of 54.16 percent of the 14,620,937 registered voters turned out at elections to choose 23,689 councilors in 1,497 communes and 23,689 constituencies.
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com )