Two suicide bombers exploded just outside a Multinational Peacekeeping forces base in the Sinai peninsula near the Gaza Strip border Wednesday. Some people were wounded in the Sinai attacks, which took place in the northern part of the Sinai Peninsula, Egyptian police said, according to the AP.
Maj. Nathan Bond, a spokesman for MFO confirmed there had been two separate suicide attacks, one targeting a MFO vehicle and a second one targeting an Egyptian security vehicle. He said there were no peacekeepers hurt in the attack.
The force was set up as part of the peace accord between Israel and Egypt in 1981. A total of 10 nations make up the force, namely the United States, Canada, Australia, Colombia, Fiji, France, Hungary, Italy, New Zealand and Uruguay. Norway also provides the force with three officers, although it is not technically a member.
This came two days after triple blasts hit a nearby Sinai tourist resort.
There was a separate report of an explosion at a police checkpoint in the Nile Delta in the north of Egypt, but the Interior Ministry and Sharqiyah province Gov. Yahya Abdulmageed said the report was false.
© 2006 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com )