According to the NPD Group's Retail Tracking Service, the best-selling security product for Mac at retail in the U.S. is Trend Micro Smart Surfing [for Mac]. Available globally, this industry-leading product is reaching even more Mac users, with a new expanded version announced today for Mac OS 10.7 or Lion.
Leveraged across Trend Micro’s solutions and services, including Trend Micro Smart Surfing , the Trend Micro Smart Protection Network  infrastructure combines unique in-the-cloud reputation technologies and lightweight client architecture to immediately and automatically protect your information wherever you connect. With Trend Micro Smart Surfing rated as the #1 best-selling product for Mac at retail in the U.S. and with Apple's estimated global sales of more than 14 million machines, with the new version is expected to gain tremendously in market share.
As Mac popularity and sales have grown, so has interest among cybercriminals in targeting those users. Recent outbreaks include Trojans and Fake AV like Mac Defender and MacGuard.
“Even before this barrage, Mac users have been susceptible to a myriad of web threats like phishing, pharming and social engineering,” said Natalie Severino Trend Micro’s Director, Consumer Retail Marketing, Product/Service Marketing.
“Unlike viruses and Trojans, these web threats don’t target operating systems, they target the end user. Our goal continues to be to prevent consumers from losing personal data and sensitive information on any and all operating systems.”
Smart Surfing [for Mac] benefits include:
Surf the web without worry
- Designed to block IM and email links that lead to dangerous websites
- Protects against phishing scams that can trick you into revealing confidential information
- Prevents websites from installing dangerous software on your Mac
Manage your children’s online activity
- Restricts Internet access by content categories
- Controls access to chat and IM sites
- Allows you to block specific websites
Essential protection for your Mac
- Defends against viruses, worms, Trojan horse programs, and other everyday security threats
- Guards against spyware and other malicious software
- Includes free automatic updates so your protection stays current against new threats
As the only anti-malware technology that is able to correlate threats and identify their individual roles in an entire threat, the Smart Protection Network protects users in the following manner:
- Web Reputation Technology blocks malicious URLs related to the attacks
- File Reputation Technology detects and prevents malicious files (e.g., MacCinema and FullMovies) from running on the affected system
In the US Trend Micro Smart Surfing [for Mac] Market share has grown in June to reach 90.9% and is the #1 best-selling security product for Mac at retail in the US.