Shipment of sheep arrives in time for Eid Al-Adha in UAE
The 11,000 animals will help meet the needs of local markets in preparation for Eid Al Adha and stabilise the price of sacrificial animals during the religious holiday
The world’s largest livestock ship arrived at Jebel Ali port yesterday with approximately 11,000 heads of cattle from Australia onboard ahead of Eid Al Adha.
The ship has a capacity for 100,000 animals. The Wellard-owned and operated ship, the MV Ocean Shearer, the largest livestock vessel, set a new world record earlier this year for the largest shipment of live cattle in September in Australia. A total of 24,683 cattle were loaded on board breaking the previous record of 23,372 cattle set by the same vessel, previously named the MV Stella Deneb, in July 2008.
According to the Ministry of Environment and Water, the consignment of livestock of approximately 10,500 sheep and 500 cattle, was checked by federal quarantine staff to make sure that it met international laws for importing animals.
Stabilising the price
The 11,000 animals will help meet the needs of local markets in preparation for Eid Al Adha and stabilise the price of sacrificial animals during the religious holiday, said Dr Mariam Hassan Al Shenasi, executive director, Ministry of Environment and Water.
She said the consignment underwent health examination to ensure the animals were not carrying diseases and would not threaten the health of animals already in the UAE, and also to guarantee safe meat and meat products. Traders in livestock must adhere to ministry rules on health and safety of livestock to protect the state.
- Same-day service deliveries in GCC an untapped market: Wing CEO
- So cool it's hot: Saudi Arabia's $3.2B HVACR market driven by construction boom
- Oman sees steady upswing in fishing industry
- Breathe easier with LG Saudi Arabia’s new indoor ventilation system
- Careem offers discounts to riders headed to the gym!
- Ramada Dowtown Burj offers tempting Eid Al Adha & UAE National Day packages
- UAE to control prices of animals for Eid
- Saudi boy copycats the Eid sheep slaughtering on his... baby sister
- UAE: Eid Al Adha ushers in price hike for sacrificial animals
- The Jordanian Agriculture Ministry reverses decision on live sheep exports