Abdelaziz Bouteflika: 7 things you didn’t know about Algeria’s 77-year-old President
At home and abroad, Algerians are heading to the polls on Thursday to decide who will be the country’s next president. However, despite these so-called elections, many Algerians believe that the vote is already rigged in favor of the country’s incumbent 77-year old leader, Abdelaziz Bouteflika.
So who is this Bouteflika character really? After all, it is not every day (actually never before) that an ailing president who is nearing 80 years of age, or any president for that matter, has ever run for a fourth term in the North African country. Continue reading below »
With media headlines already well-versed in Bouteflika’s current “state of affairs,” ranging from the Algerian leader’s contentious privatization programs to growing health concerns since he suffered from a stroke last year, we take a look at the young(er) Bouteflika, tracing the Algerian leader’s rise to power along the way.
Take a look through this slideshow to test how well you know Algier’s Abdelaziz!
- Who will fill Ahmadinejad's boots? The runners and riders in Iran’s 2013 presidential polls
- Hot competition for Iran's summer polls: the runners & riders, reformers & radicals
- A year in review: The biggest stories from the Middle East in 2013
- 7 Surprising things you didn't know about Zayn Malik
- 9 things you didn’t know about elections in Jordan