Beauty and the East: Bizarre beauty remedies from the Arab world
Beauty in the eye of the beholder or beauty-seeker can be achieved in many ways. But for our grandparents or tradition-keeping folk, the recipe for prettier hair or smoother skin often resulted from methods that today's generation may find a bit bizarre or downright gross, to say the least.
While most day to day beauty efforts go on without the overt use of live animals, these old wives tales take us back to a time before L'Oreal (when Nivea had the monopoly!) and when products derived from your caravanning camel held the mysteries of eternal youth. Continue reading below »
No pain, no gain
Whether we are talking store-bought mayo treatment or hunting down your very own bat which can only be found in a dark cave hundreds of miles away from the comfort of your home, being beautiful takes some effort. And the zealous female denizens of the Middle East, hardwired to strive to glow with glamor, will leave no pumice stone unturned on the drive to beauty.
We’ve scoured the history books of our Tetas (Arabic for grandmothers) to discover by-gone beauty tips and tricks that Middle Eastern ladies have been using for decades. There’s a reason the region's fairer sex are famed the world over for their exotic looks - here’s the bizarre, berserk and sometimes 'barbaric' world of Arab beauty.
- Feisty and female: 12 superwomen smashing taboos in the Middle East
- "Let us focus on unity and not on division": A beautiful message of peace from youth across the world
- Lux Fashion World Plays with beauty for the fifth year in a row in the Middle East
- Syrian beauty wins pageant for "modesty" and "culture"
- Arab men rush in: Syrian beauties left homeless make prize brides