Riding proud: Arabian thoroughbreds bring the grand prize home at Dubai World Cup 2014
The Dubai World Cup (DWC) is a thrilling day of thoroughbred competition where the final event is known as “the world’s richest horse race”, with the winner trotting off with a million bucks! We’ve shown you some of the glittering gals and guys who perch in the grandstands wearing feathers and fedoras - but what about the real action? How did the horses do? Continue reading below »
Held annually since 1996 on the last Saturday in March, it offers eight thoroughbred races capped off by a dedicated race for purebred Arabians. The nine-race card of Dubai World Cup 2014 held an incredible $27,250,000 in total prize money - including a $10,000,000 purse to the horse winning the main event! This year’s races just wrapped up on Saturday.
The Emirates Racing Authority manages the DWC - headed by Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai who also owns one of the world's leading thoroughbred breeding and racing operations, Darley Stud & Godolphin Racing. In 2010, the races moved to the new Meydan Racecourse, special-built solely for the DWC!
It’s one of the world’s biggest sporting and social events of the year, when the best jockeys, horses and trainers on the planet gather at Meydan where an 80,000-plus crowd of outrageously dressed spectators will wine, dine, dance to pop superstar Jennifer Lopez (this year’s entertainer!) and, yes - witness the battles on the track.
And about those battles? Read on to see final placings in every race together with a description of the best of the equine action!
- 18 short films by young Arab students compete for top honours at fourth Gulf Film Festival
- Get off your high horse! Dubai Sheikh disappointed in trainer's doping scandal
- Nancy Ajram the highlight of Dubai Shopping Festival '14
- Guests wearing hats arrive at the Meydan racecourse to attend the Dubai World Cup day horse racing event in the United Arab Emirate of Dubai. (AFP/File)
- Jennifer Lopez rocked the World Cup in a Lebanese dress!